Cost Per Serving:
Very simple and tasty soup made with black beans - smooth, slightly spicy and with good flavor. This soup is best served with sour cream, grated cheese and salsa. To really give this soup some additional flavor and effect, add sliced avocado and lime wedges on the side and chopped, fresh cilantro.
- 2 tablespoons butter (or 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon oil)
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 large potatoes, diced in small cubes
- 1 ½ cup cooked black beans
- 4 cups of broth (or water and 2 bullion cubes)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dry onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
Saute the onion, the carrots and the celery in the butter until the onion turns translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic, the tomato paste and the spices. Saute for a few minutes, then add the potatoes, the black beans and the broth.
Cook for about 20 – 30 min until the potatoes are soft. Blend the soup until smooth. Add the balsamic vinegar and add any additional spices if the soup is too bland for your taste.
Serve with sour cream, grated cheese and possibly some salsa on top.