This is a very tasty salad. The recipe was inspired by one Clotilde posted on her blog, however we have tinkered with it a little to suit our taste.
It might be difficult to understand before you taste it how interesting and different this salad is. The creamy avocado really does miracles - it transforms ordinary carrots into something truly delicious.
Servings: 4 (if served to hungry people as a side dish)
- 2 small ripe avocados
- The juice of a lemon or an orange
- A dash of balsamic vinegar
- 6 medium carrots, peeled and grated
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- Cilantro or other herbs
- 4 small green onions, chopped
- Toasted seeds -- sunflower, sesame, flax, or a mix thereof
- Fine sea salt, freshly ground pepper
- Tabasco sauce
Combine the avocado, lemon juice, and balsamic vinegar in a medium salad bowl, and mash the avocado roughly with a fork. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and Tabasco sauce. Fold in the carrots and celery, and stir until well combined. Cover and refrigerate for half an hour or up to a day. Toss again before serving, adjust the seasoning, and sprinkle with liberal amounts of toasted seeds.
Diced chicken or tofu could also be added to this salad for a simple and fulfilling meal.