Sometimes it can be nice to be a little sick. You're stressed out, your tired, and suddenly you get a cold. What a perfect excuse to relax and indulge yourself in hot soup and old movies (if you have that luxury). However, if you are unlucky enough to become sick on a hot 98 degree non-air conditioned summer day, it's not as relaxing to enjoy a day under the covers. Well, maybe you shouldn't enjoy being sick anyways...
Hot or not, I bet most people have their sick routine: food they like to eat, drinks they like to drink, movies they enjoy watching, favorite blankets and slippers to beat the chill, etc... When I'm sick, there are a few things I like around me that I at least convince myself will improve my current sniffling state
What to drink:
- Hot Honey-Ginger-Lemon Brew
- Lots of Water
- Green Tea
- Orange Juice
- Cranberry Juice
- Red Wine
What to eat:
- Lots of Fresh Fruit
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- Fish Gratin (such ultimate comfort food, basically a dish with white fish, mashed potatoes and hollandaise sauce in the oven)
- Grilled Cheese Sandwhich
- English Muffin with butter and strawberry marmalade
- Chocolate Cookies
- Chocolate Ice Cream
- Pastries (preferably filled with vanilla cream)
What to watch:
Watch very funny, light, comforting movies that can easily keep your attention:
- Ferris Bueller's Day Off
- Dirty Dancing
- The Fifth Element
- Star Trek episodes
- The English Patient
- Before Sunrise
- Love Actually
here's a list of more movies to watch when you're sick
What else to do:
- If you enjoy light novels, well, this is the time for those...
- Read fun, light magazines you never have the time for otherwise: fashion, food, design etc...
- Listen to audio books. This can be very relaxing since you don't have to actually watch anything. Just lie in bed, close your eyes and put on a good crime novel.
- Surf the net and get stuck reading blogs. There are so many different kinds of blogs out there and sometimes your find one that keeps your attention for a long time where you even look throughtheir entire archive. When you're sick, you can allow yourself that.
Hot Honey-Ginger-Lemon Brew
Method: Peel and grate some fresh ginger (about 1-2 tbsps). Put some water on boil (1-2 cups) and place the ginger in the pot. Let simmer for a few minutes. Add freshly squeezed lemon juice and taste of with honey. Strain and serve!
I would imagine the lemon, ginger, honey mix is really good for you, it's also very soothing if you have a soar throat.
What to wear: Down Boots
I have a pair similar to these, and I love them!
Nothing will make your feet more comfortable and warm. Just don't walk around in them - they are not made for that.