This is a simple, yet sophisticated meal that will warm you right up. The flavors are balanced and quite different; somehow the beets, the vegetables, the orange and the dill go very well together. It has a lot of fall flavor and feel and is perfect on one of those cold, rainy days when the summer is gone. Preferably serve with a hearty bread or why not freshly baked biscuits.
Time: 1 hr 15 min
- 6 tbsp butter / 3 tbsp butter and 3 tbsp oil
- 3 chopped onions
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 2 small peeled and diced beets
- 4-5 peeled and diced carrots
- 4 diced celery stalks
- 1/2 peeled and cut celery root
- 3/4 cup chopped dill
- 2 quarts beef or chicken stock (or vegetable stock for a completely vegetarian soup)
- 1 28-oz can diced tomatoes with their juice
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 orange
- Salt and pepper
- Sour Cream
Sautee onions and garlic in butter until soft but not brown, over low heat. Increase heat to medium-high and add beets, carrots, celery, celery root and half the dill. Sauté until vegetables have released their liquid, dried and start to turn golden, about 20 min. Add stock and tomatoes with their juice, and bring to boil. Reduce heat and cook until vegetables are soft, about 45 min. Add orange zest and juice and remaining dill. Season with salt and pepper and serve with dollop of sour cream.