Once I finished my quilt (which has been awesome by the way!), I was left with a whole bunch of scrap fabric. And since I hate wasting stuff, I really wanted to find ways to use up this stash before running out and buying new fabric to start some other project (because another quilt sounds like fun!)
And, since I've made pot holders and trivets as Christmas gifts for other people lately, none have ended up in our kitchen, so I thought it would be nice to update our pot holders / oven mitt collection as well.
So first up: quilted trivet / pot holder utilizing these various fabrics with a base in natural linen. I wanted to create something a bit more asymmetrical here, and not just cut perfect squares.
Maybe not the most beautiful back... I had fun puzzling this small project together while we raced through the TV show Walking Dead (which I really wish we could get more of, because wow - that's a good show!)
And here you have it!
It was kind of fun quilting through all layers here. For the batting I used thermal batting and I used two layers, because is there anything worse than burning through your pot holder? One layer will definitely get you burnt, unless the pot isn't very hot. Two layers is great from a thickness point of view, however I'm really thinking more is more here, so maybe next time I'll even do three?
I do like the way the back came out. How this asymmetrical pattern basically made it a bit more visually interesting on the back, as well as the front...
And there it hangs, ready to be used.
Sewing this together was really simple though, in case that wasn't clear: make the top by sewing together pieces of fabric, cut out two squares of batting and one square of linen. Layer the batting, the linen and then the quilted front wrong side up. Sneak in a loop made out of linen for hanging. Sew three and part of the fourth side together, then wrap the whole thing open, iron the un-sewn sides so the edges are folded and sew that little hole by hand. Then sew all layers through the quilted design.
I hope that was clear enough. Not much too it, simple. The fun part was quilting all the parts together and designing the top part in the first place - a bit like a puzzle again.
This was a fun project. Sometimes short and simple projects are the most fun, since they don't bog you down. Love this trivet now in my kitchen! Now, I'm getting ready to make some more, specifically a few mitts because they're really the most useful to have around. I'm want to try a few different designs though with these fabrics, so we'll see what I come up with...