So after the tile has been put down we have arrived at the next step: grouting. We decided for a very dark charcoal grout that will blend in nicely against the black granite.
Since we're using stone tile we were recommended to not use sanded grout, so instead we bought a non sanded grout product. When we grouted the subway tile on the walls, we used a light grout which was pre mixed. Unfortunately we could not find premixed non sanded grout to buy, so instead we had to mix our own. Here we're using an attachment on the drill to mix the grout well. This would have been really tough by hand, so using the drill like this made it a lot easier (huge cake batter anyone? I bet using this method would work pretty well if you're making a ginormous cake and have a lot of batter to work through!)
This stuff is so dark, it resembled brownie batter a lot; it looked just like dark goey chocolate.
Unfortunately, dark chocolate also makes much more of a mess than light grout does, as we quickly realized...
Here we're using a nifty bag, very much like a pastry bag to get it in all the grout holes.
And then we used a float to get it in properly.
We mixed the whole grout bag right away, which perhaps wasn't the best idea. Unfortunately we couldn't the finish the job right then, so we covered the bucket with the grout really good with plastic wrap and aluminum foil. Of course when we got back an hour or two later, the grout had hardened a lot in the bucket, so we had to mix in some more water in order to be able to use it. It was difficult to get the perfect consistency here: the grout was either too dry or too wet when doing this, so it turned out to be pretty difficult to get in the grout holes right. So when we do the utility room we better do all the grouting in one shot, or only mix part of the bag so we can do the grouting before it dries out.