The drainage situation in the backyard is progressing. We have now done most of the digging, all that's missing is one trench in the middle of the backyard, but we'll wait with that one until we have all the other parts set up, since it will be rather impractical to have a hole in the middle of the backyard right now.
At the end of the trench, at the deepest point we have dug a large hole for an outdoor sump basin. This is where the sump pump will go. The height of the basin is 22 inches, which fits perfectly with our leveling situation. We began at 11 inches deep and for 80 feet we dug to a final depth of 22 inches at a 1 inch drop per 20 foot run. This was to compensate for the down grade of the inital digging point and various grade differences along the way.
The hole needed to be large enough for the basin to fit in.
We got a lid for it that's walkable. There were two different lids to choose between at the store - one that was walkable and one that wasn't. If you're planning on doing this same thing, make sure you get the walkable kind! The reason why the basin and the lid is right at ground level is because the pump and the basin require ventilation. Hence you can't bury it completely and put tons of dirt over it.
The water will be led into this basin. The pump will be located inside inside of it and will pump the water into a pipe leading to the house drainage system.
We picked up 100 feet of this pipe. It's perforated so the water will drain into it, and it also has some protective fabric around, which helps to ensure dirt does not enter the pipe.
We put some gravel down underneath...
... and then on top of it as well. Hopefully this will make it easier for the water to drain through the ground into the tube.
We cut a hole in the basin using a jig saw and fit the pipe to it.
We also caulked around the edges to make sure dirt does not enter the basin.
Definitely quite a lot of surface to cover with gravel.
And once we had a cover of gravel on top of it, we also put down miscellaneous rocks and chipped cement that we needed to get rid of anyway (maybe not the best shoes to shovel gravel in!)
And last but not least, dirt!
We have a lot of dirt around the backyard from when we first dug the trenches. Now it was time to put some of that dirt back on top again.
And that's basically where we are with that. The trenches around the fence have been covered with gravel and dirt, with a perforated drainage pipe inside, ready to lead water into the basin with sump pump. At least now there is no hole in the backyard for puppy to fall into!